Saturday 13 August 2005

First Day, Last Day

Saturday was the first day of class.. As usual, i'm feeling a bit rusty going back to my studies after such a long break. It's been more than two months since my last exams in May. Guess anyone would feel the same after two months of holidays.

Just recently realised that this semester will be a heavy one for me. As it's my first time doing the final level subjects, i'm required by the system to take all 3 papers together in this very first sitting and it will be somewhat disruptive to my travel plans.

Most of you probably know that i've been looking forward to a trip to the western part of this world, if possible, in late October. However, it seems to me that i'll probably have to shelve my plans aside for the moment if i'm to be able to cope with all three papers.

Most likely i'll have to look to somewhere nearer and at the same time, a shorter duration. Guess the "journey to the west" can only be fufiled in next year Jan or Feb. Still, i'm looking forward to whatever trip i maybe going. After all, it will still be a whole new experience for me, be it near or far. (",) Sometimes, an old place re-visited can also be a whole new experience if we can approach it with a beginner's mind. :)

Sunday was the last day of the carnival at the marina for the national day celebration. It was the day for the final installation to the fireworks display as well. Went there with my blading friends after our usual sunday workout to catch the fireworks on the ECP brigde.

Yup, got my shots on the fireworks displays but sad to say, most of the photographers including me, were a bit tad disappointed. Some were disappointed with the displays and some lamenting about over-exposed shots. I was among those that had quite a few over-exposed shots. It's a bit technical, so let me try to explain.

It was quite a windless nite and so, the smoke from the firewrorks was not dispersed. It remained near the firing point. As the smoke is whitish in colour, it tends to reflect light very well. When the fireworks explode, especially the ones that are really bright, i'll get more light than what i expected through my camera and my photos turned out overly white and without details.

Still, i managed to get some not too bad shots and i'm quite contented with it. Well, it's a good learning experience and i'll be more prepared for the next year, if there's one. (",)

No comments: